Galaxy Sensory Bin
Welcome to another Playful Preschool Wednesday post, where a group of bloggers share some free hands on play thematic activities for preschool aged kids. To see more fun hands on play activities, please click on the links of my team members. Last week was all about Life Cycles and there were some fantastically fun posts shared, this week is all about Space.
I put together this sensory bin in under a minute and it was fun. So much fun that even though we are working on a different theme this week, this bin is still sitting out and more stuff has been added to it since I typed up this here post.
This post contains affiliate links
So this bin was easy to assemble since I had all the items on hand and didn’t have to sort any of that crap. I had previously printed and cut the planets out this planet activity by Craftionary
What I used, was:
- Star Beads (clear, white, and blue)
- Black beans
- Galaxy hair balls (marbles work just as well)
- Chenille sticks in gold and silver
- Planets printable
- Small glass container
- Medium sized bin
- Poured the black beans in the medium bin
- Add the clear, white, and blue star beads to the black beans.
- Add the galaxy hair balls. Mix well
- Stick the planets in so they stand up
- Add the chenille sticks, small glass container, and ladle
I let the girls have a go at the sensory bin for the first day on their own. Some of the things they did was:
- Scooping and pouring
When I had time to sit with just my preschooler we had some fun learning. She enjoys this one on one time and things tend to go really smoothly with her. My preschooler enjoyed:
- Sorting the planets from largest to smallest
- Sorting the beads by color and counting
- Adding small quantities of beads
- making patterns
- And more
This sensory bin is fun and so many activities can be done in it. I don’t think I’m going to let it stay up next week but the activities that we have squeezed out of this bin is great.
The girls used the FarFaria app this week and a few of the books that they enjoyed were:
This week we watched a lot of great space videos but this one here by StoryBots was one of their favorites.
More SPACE themed activities from the #PLAYfulPreschool Education Team:
Passport to the Planets: A Science Writing Prompt for Kids by Still Playing School