Numbers 6-10 Pre-Writing Activity
We have been having really hectic weeks lately, and it’s been leaving me with less time to plan activities. That’s okay with my girls because they love when we learn on the fly, and that’s exactly what we did with this week’s Early Childhood Education Theme: Numbers 6-10.
With no real plan in mind that means I didn’t pull any resources for the week, so I had to use what was at hand. In the end, we ended up with a week long hands-on pre-writing activity that was engaging and creative for both my two and five-year-olds.
Some of the skills we focused on were: counting, tracing and following directions.
- Glass beads
- Write a number on the chalkboard
- Trace over the number with a piece of chalk or their finger.
- Draw dots at all the starting and stopping points of the number
- Lay a glass bead at all the starting and stopping points
- Create the curves and lines of the number with their yarn
- Remove everything and using the eraser, erase the number lines and curves from the starting dot to the ending dot
- Now try to draw your own number
With this pre-writing activity, I allowed the girls to get creative with the numbers using only the materials that I’d given them for the week. This also made it a great way for me to work with my two-year-old. She spent her time erasing the numbers and drawing her own along with coming up with the idea to only use the number of the day beads and making a picture with the drawn numbers.
To make this activity work for our hectic week, we did a number a day. That way, I was able to fit it in with our calendar time and have it make a big impact while also throwing in a fun spin to our routine. (Last week calendar time was all that we had time for.)
This playlist is short and I’m hoping to add more to it. There is a special counting video in here that my two-year-old actually worked along with a couple of days last week. She really likes these kinds of videos and I find they help her in remembering.
If you are looking for more Number 6-10 ideas, then check out the #TeachECE team below.
- How can I teach numbers 6-10 and Writing? by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Fine Motor Number Building Challenge by Fun-A-Day
- Turkey Counting Rhyme by Growing Book by Book
- Acorn and Squirrel Clip Cards by Rainy Day Mum
- Candy Cane Counting Sticks in Preschool by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
- Numbers Prewriting Activity by Tiny Tots Adventures
- Free Printable Counting Game by Life Over C’s
Did you miss last weeks post? Never miss a post again by joining our email list. We don’t like spam just as much as you, so we promise not to spam you.